July 31st, 2008DIY Appetizer: Maple-Pepper Salmon Bites
With the Great American Seafood Cook Off just a few days away, I thought I would share one of my favorite do-it-yourself appetizer recipes – Maple Pepper Salmon bites. I’ve brought these easy yummy bites to many family gatherings and they’ve always been a huge hit! I think they’d be a perfect starter for a wedding (or even a contender in the cook off!). You would just need to multiply the recipe to serve the amount of people you plan to feed. The recipe below serves 6.
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce
- 24 ounces of skinned salmon fillet
- 1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable or canola oil
- toothpicks for serving
Let’s get cooking!
- First, take your salmon and cut it into bite sized pieces.
- Combine maple syrup and soy sauce in a medium sized bowl to create the marinade. Add salmon pieces, making sure the fish is fully immersed in the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- After fish has marinated 24 hours, preheat the oven to 500 degrees fahrenheit and spray a sheet of aluminum foil with your vegetable oil.
- Put the freshly ground pepper in a small plate or bowl. Gently dip the salmon bites in the pepper and place them on your greased foil.
- Cook in over 3-4 minutes. Watch them carefully when baking as to not overcook!
- They are now ready to serve! Stick each bite with a toothpick and you’re ready to go.
Tips and Suggestions:
-Marinating the salmon pieces in a zip-loc bag works fantastic.
-Sometimes, adding a little bit of fresh ginger to the marinade can add contrast to the flavor, a mix of salty and sweet!
-If you are concerned about burning the salmon, some cooks have made these bites on baking paper instead of foil very successfully.
I think you’ll really enjoy this delicious take on salmon appetizers, and your guests will too! If you try this recipe please comment or send an e-mail with pictures of your yummy bites. We’d love to hear your suggestions for revising the recipe to make these bites uniquely yours, or any yummy seafood recipes you enjoy making and think would be great to pass on!
You may even get ideas to suggest while watching the Great American Seafood Cook off! I’m excited to see what delicious recipes the chefs will offer! There are always such unique dishes from all over the states..I wonder what the 14 chefs will come up with this year! A great thing about the dishes at the cook off is the freshness and sustainability of the ingredients. It is so important to make sure the seafood we are eating is being caught fresh locally, and the source of the fish is known. Doing this ensures good health and protection of the environment..So there is always fresh healthy seafood to go around! Plus, it just tastes better! Freshly caught Alaskan Salmon is so much better than worldwide farmed salmon any day. Every delectable creation whipped up at the cook off follows these guidelines. Yum..I can’t wait!
Now go get cooking! I’m getting hungry just typing this recipe