There are so many little details that make up your big day and your wedding day outfit (and all the little accessories) are a pretty important part! Luckily, those special little details don’t have to cost an arm and a leg. When you DIY (or do-it-yourself) you can save a lot of dough while still customizing your day (and look) to fit you! Making your own custom one of a kind lacy wedding garter is a great way to save some money while matching your look to your wedding theme! (Or maybe your favorite sports team, etc. The possibilities are endless – it is all about you!)
These diy frilly garters will look fantastic on any bride. You can even make them for your bridesmaids! Or if you are planning for prom you can use this tutorial to make the perfect prom dress accessory too! 🙂
It’s so easy if you follow these instructions!
You will need…
- 1.5″ Ribbon (Your choice of color!)
- A lighter
- Needle & Thread (To match the ribbon or a contrasting color!)
- Safety Pin
Let’s get started!
- First, take your measuring tape and measure your thigh in the spot you want your custom garter to sit and multiply that number by 1.5. This is your “final number”.
- Add 1″ to that final number for seam allowance and measure that length from your ribbon and cut.
- Lightly burn the edges of your ribbon to stop fraying. Basically you want to hold it close enough to gently melt the edge to finish it. (If you are uncomfortable with the idea of using the lighter you can also use a little bit of clear nail polish to stop fraying too. Just go lightly and only at the edge as it can occasionally cause a little bit of staining!)
- Fold the ribbon in half and then pin the ends together.
- Using a needle and thread (or sewing machine) sew the ends of your ribbon together but only to the half way point, snipping the loose thread.
- With the wrong side facing down, fold the seam allowances down and sew them down. The part of the garter that has the opening will be the inside of your garter.
- Now, fold the ribbon in half the other way, sewing a seam along the fold to connect the two halves of the ribbon together.
- Cut a piece of lace in the amount of your final number (calculated above!) plus 0.5″.
- Starting at the inside opening sandwich and pin the lace within the two sides of your ribbon until you reach the opening again. Then overlap the lace a tad, adding your last pin.
- Sew along your pin line and then pin the loose threads.
- Now it’s time to cut your elastic! To determine the length of the elastic to cut, wrap it around your thigh and test to see how tight you want it to be.
- Attach a safety pin to one side of the elastic to help you thread it through your ribbon.
- Feed the elastic through the one open end of your ribbon (safety pin first) until it comes out the other side. Then overlap the elastic, pin and sew!
- Tuck the elastic safely inside your ribbon and distribute the fabric evenly.
- Find the middle of the front of your garter and sew on your charm(s)!
- You can get creative here if you like and add anything else that may suit your personality and theme. Feathers? a little glitter? Buttons, beads or crystals? The possibilities are truly endless!
- If you plan on throwing one garter and keeping another just repeat the process to make a matching garter.
That’s it! It is so easy and you can design it in your wedding colors with charms and little touches that reflect you and your big day. If you create your own garter be sure to send in photos. We would love to see what you come up with!
I found these awesome instructions on youtube from craft goddess Corinne from craftzine. If you find it easier to watch a video check it out below!