Looking for a way to recycle/upcycle some old light bulbs and diy something pretty for your wedding, shower or event? The a light bulb bud vase would be absolutely perfect for you! It is an easy peasy diy project you can do with old light bulbs you would have thrown out anyways. Decorate your ceremony (maybe hang them along the aisle!) or reception with hanging light bulb vases filled with pretty blooms or put in some small flowers and set them on tables. So beautiful , so fresh..and so GREEN! 😀
Here is what you will need –
- Clear Incandescent light bulb
- Needle Nose pliers
- Safety glasses and gloves
- Floral Wire or Twine (for hanging), Coat hanger, Napkin Ring or aluminum welding rod [available at your local hardware store] (for standing)
- Optional – Bag to catch glass and throwaway bits & pieces
- First, remove the little silver disc (the contact) on the bottom of the light bulb with your pliers.
- Next, remove the black glass cap by working the tip of the pliers into the hole to snap it. (Twist while applying a little bit of pressure!)
- Working over your bag, use the pliers to gently loosen the bits and pieces in the bulb and pull them out to discard until the light bulb is empty.
- Now the next step depends on if you plan on hanging it or standing it on a table.
- If you are hanging it you can either tie some twine tightly around the top leaving a tail that can be used to hang. You could also wrap floral wire around the top and create a loop for hanging.
- If you are standing it on the table the easiest way is to just set it on a small napkin ring that coordinates with the rest of your decor. You can also use a wire coat hanger or aluminum welding rod bent and twisted into a stand for hanging or sitting upon. (See photos for ideas!)
That’s it! Now just add some water and your favorite flower (or grass/foliage/greenery which can be pretty too! Totally simple and eco-friendly to boot.
Some ideas for flowers – Daisies, Mums, Carnations, Roses, Tulips, Astrolomeria, Lilies – etc. etc!